Of these attendees, 18 were active family physicians, six were students and one was a resident.
MDAFP advocated for four main legislative opportunities for Family Physicians.
- Medicaid Reimbursement
- Advocacy Day participants asked that the General Assembly maintain level funding for E&M codes for Medicaid patients in the FY 2024 budget. Maryland is currently a state leader in ensuring that our Medicaid population has access to quality healthcare.
- Loan Assistance Repayment Program of Physicians and Physicians Assistants
- In 2023 the General Assembly provided record funding for Physician LARP at over $4 million
- The Governor’s Budget for FY 2024 reduced this amount to $1 million
- MDAFP supports the request that the FY 2024 Budget restores the $ 4 million
- The laws that 1) insurance covers audio-only visits and 2) in-person and telehealth encounters be reimbursed equally will sunset in 2023
- MDAFP supports Senate Bill 534/House Bill (TBD) that will make permanent reimbursement for audio-only encounters and payment.
- Utilization Management Reform (Prior Authorization and Step Therapy)
- MDAFP supports House Bill 305/Senate Bill 308 and Senate Bill 515/House Bill 785 to reform prior authorization and step therapy
- These bills will allow patients to stay on a prescription drug without another prior authorization if the drug was previously approved by insurance.